Easily, one of my favourite flavour combinations is chocolate and peppermint, think choc mint ice cream, Arnott's Mint Slice, peppermint hot chocolate. And now I bring you, peppermint slice ... yummm!!
So this is a chocolate cake-y base and a peppermint icing on top. Bake the base first and you can at any point once the cake is cooled.
What you need ...
For the base
- 125g butter
- 200g melting chocolate (this is something that is worth getting the name brand, you really can taste the difference)
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
1 1/4 plain flour
For the top
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint essence
- 1/4 cup milk
This is all prepared on the stove, so make sure you have two and a heat proof bowl (such as a glass bowl). Set one pot and the bowl aside, we just need one to start with.
1. Preheat your oven 180 degrees and grease a slice tin for later.
2. Put chopped butter and chocolate into a medium saucepan over a low heat. Stir until the chocolate is melted.
3. Add caster sugar, eggs and flour and stir until combined.
4. Pour this chocolate mixture into the slice tin and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
5. When this is finished, allow to sit for 15 minutes then turn onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
1. Pour about 2 inches of water in a pot and set to a low-medium heat
2. Combine icing sugar, butter and peppermint essence together in the bowl
3. Slowly stir in small amounts of milk at a time until you have a thick paste. You may not need all of the 1/4 cup of milk, you may even need more.
4. When the water is starting to boil, lower the heat to a simmer and put the bowl over the top.
5. Stir the thick peppermint mixture until the icing is smoother and feels spreadable.
6. Spread icing over the slice. Be careful, it will set quite quickly.
7. Optionally, melt some more chocolate and drizzled it over the slice for decoration
8. Cut into small squares and serve up!
It was very very hard to share these. I would have loved to just gobble them up all by myself.
Let me know what you think and I would love to see your photos either below or over on my Instagram @nerdylittlebaker